Yume Nikki released on Steam, new project countdown website opened
Playism has released Yume Nikki, the surrealistic free-to-play adventure game built in RPG Maker 2003 by indie Japanese developer Kikiyama and released for PC in 2004, on Steam.
Additionally, Kadokawa Corporation has opened countdown website for a new project titled “Yume Nikki: Dream Diary.” The countdown will end on January 25 at 14:00 JST. The Yume Nikki Steam page also shared the news.
During Comic Market 93 back in December, various “Yume Nikki: Dream Diary” posters were posted in the Kokusai-Tenjijou Station, which serves the Tokyo Big Sight exhibition center where the event was held, but details about its contents were never announced. Here are a couple of shots, via Ameba News:
The title on the poster matches up with the title of the website, as well as the teaser image (above) released by Kadokawa Corporation today.
Here is an overview of the original game, via its Steam page:
Explore a Strange and Dark Dream World. An RPG Game Unlike No Other.
You are free to explore the various dream worlds at your own pace. If you check certain characters or items in the game you will collect an “Effect.” These “Effects” can be used to change the main character’s appearance.
Some of these “Effects” have special actions or animations which you can activate by pressing 1 or 3 on the number pad.
Yume Nikki is a very unique title that has become one of the most well-known indie games to come out of Japan.
It is unlike any other RPG especially in the fact that there really is no action or dialogue to speak of. This gives the game a very dark and foreboding atmosphere. Can you make it to the secret ending?
- There are no particular goals nor story of which to speak. You simply walk around.
- Checking certain characters inside the dream will increase the number of “effects”.
- Using “effects” will cause the main character’s appearance to change.
- (During this time, you can use the 1 or 3 keys to implement special movements and effects.)
- Using the same “effect” a second time will cause the character to revert to their original form.
- “Effects” can only be discarded inside rooms with many doors.
Watch a trailer for the Steam release below.